As the vibrant hues of summer start to fade and a gentle crispness fills the air, it’s time to prepare your garden for the transition into autumn. The changing seasons bring new responsibilities for garden enthusiasts to ensure that their outdoor sanctuaries remain healthy and inviting. In partnership with Glenn Scape Horticulture, we bring you essential tips to keep your garden happy as autumn sets in.
Tips to keep your garden happy as autumn arrives:
1. Plant for Autumn Beauty: Before autumn takes hold, clear away any remnants of summer, such as wilted flowers, spent plants, and fallen leaves. Removing this debris prevents the buildup of diseases and pests, allowing your garden to start fresh.
2. Mulching Matters: Applying a layer of mulch around the base of your plants helps regulate soil temperature, retain moisture, and inhibit weed growth. Glenn Scape Horticulture recommends using organic materials like compost, straw, or wood chips for optimal results.
3. Prune with purpose: Regular pruning is crucial to remove dead or diseased branches and encourage healthy growth. As autumn approaches, cut back any summer-blooming plants to help them conserve energy for the coming season.
4. Divide and Conquer: Some perennials benefit from division every few years. Autumn is an ideal time for this, as plants are preparing for dormancy. Divide and replant as needed to ensure robust growth next spring.
5. Plant for Autumn Beauty: Add a touch of autumnal charm to your garden by incorporating plants that thrive during this season. Consider mums, asters, ornamental grasses, and fall-blooming perennials. Glenn Scape Horticulture can guide you in selecting the right plants for your climate.
6. Adequate Watering: Though the weather may be cooler, plants still need consistent watering during the autumn. Ensure they receive about an inch of water per week, either through rainfall or manual irrigation.
7. Protect from Frost: As the nights grow colder, be prepared to cover delicate plants with frost cloth or burlap if a sudden frost is expected. This protection can extend their growing season.
8. Prepare for Bulbs: Autumn is prime time for planting spring-blooming bulbs. Consult with Glenn Scape Horticulture to determine the best locations and planting techniques for bulbs like tulips, daffodils, and hyacinths.
9. Tend to the Lawn: Don’t forget your lawn! Autumn is the perfect time for aeration, overseeding, and fertilization. This prepares your lawn to withstand the winter and come back strong in the spring.
10. Harvest Remaining Produce: If you have a vegetable garden, gather any remaining produce before the first frost arrives. Consider preserving your harvest through canning, freezing, or drying.
As autumn paints your surroundings with its enchanting colours, ensure that your garden thrives amidst the changing landscape. With these tips from Glenn Scape Horticulture, you can embrace the season’s beauty while setting the stage for a vibrant and flourishing garden in the seasons to come.